Sunday, August 30, 2009

Excerpt: The Wager -- coming in November 2009

"You cannot mean to go with Damian--without a chaperone?" Ravyn spoke as she paced the confines of Amorica’s room.

"It has been two weeks since I saw him." Amorica protested while she leaned on the windowsill, peering down at the gardens below, then farther to the rose garden where she was sure she had lost her heart to the rogue.

"And that is a better reason not to go. You cannot mean to fall right into his plans whenever he crooks a little finger. Your reputation will be ruined," Christel said.

"I do not care a fig for my reputation. He is the perfect gentleman, too perfect at times. He would never-" she stopped, remembering the greenhouse--his kisses--the way he touched her and the way her heart had raced.

Ravyn stood, feet apart, hands on hips. "All the more reason to stay away from him. What of the wager? You will not win if you give into him so easily. What would your father say?"

"He would not be pleased. No respecting lady would ride off for an afternoon picnic with a man--alone."

"It is morning." Ravyn reminded Amorica. "And if I read your mind correctly, it is for the entire day, this outing of yours."

"What is the difference? A day or half a day?"

"Probably nothing. It is just--I fear for your heart."

"The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and I don’t believe there is a cloud in the sky. I will have a fine ride and a nice picnic, and I will be home before dark."

"You cannot be sure he does not have some nefarious motive in mind."

"And I was afraid to say anything of this to Christel. I knew she would object but I didn’t think you would. Damian is neither dangerous or nefarious."

"Well." Ravyn blew a strand of loose hair from her face. "I didn’t think you would lose all common sense where that man came into play. What are you thinking?"

"I am thinking that I might never see him again. I am thinking that I deserve to have a ride on a fine day. I am thinking he is up to something, and I mean to find out what it is. He is secretive."

No comments:

Post a Comment